Friday, February 17, 2012

Do you allow shoes in your house? I am moving into a new house with very light colored carpeting and want to keep it clean. I have never lived in a house that has a rule to remove shoes at the door and want to know how to start. What do you do with guests and friends?|||Make it easy and pleasant for your friends. Where possible, let them know in advance. In any case, have a chair just inside the door where they can sit down to take their shoes off comfortably (and put them on again when they leave), instead of hopping around on one foot. Have a basket of clean inexpensive cotton slippers for them to put on instead. One place where I visited in Russia they had a box of old ballet slippers!
And don't make a big fuss about it the first couple of times. Most people catch on fast, and will soon be whipping their shoes off as they walk in the door, or even bringing their own indoor shoes with them in a bag.|||Interesting! Thanks for the answer!!

Report Abuse

|||absolutely ridiculous, a box of cotton slippers for them to put on? what do you live in a hospital? jesus don't be so anal about everything

Report Abuse

|||its like the TSA, i like to make people feel like they are going through Airport Security when they come over....hopefully they never want to come back.

Report Abuse

|||5th, thats nice no shoes in houses.... Wish it was in mine!

Report Abuse

|||we asians do that all the time ;)

i'm from Malaysia

Report Abuse

|||That's about the stupidest answer i've ever heard. A chair and cotton slippers? Really?
You say... "no shoes." They slip them off and leave them by the door. Pull any of the crap that guy said and you'll prob lose your friends... I know I wouldn't wanna visit someone who's that anal.

Report Abuse

|||LOL@ penis

Report Abuse

|||yeah, slippers? I can't think of much that's more rediculous than wearing old slippers that every guest to your'e house has worn. Do you have them in a range of sizes, I have large, wide feet that fit almost nothing?

Report Abuse

|||I don't know if this is a US thing or what but here in Canada, nobody ever wears shoes in anyone's homes.. EVER. You come in, take your shoes off, and put them on again when you're leaving.. I don't know anyone who has "house shoes" either.

Report Abuse

|||Stupid question, even more stupid answer.

Report Abuse

|||My grandma and some of my asian friends keep a basket at the front door, and say "I hope you dont mind taking off you're shoes" or something polite like that. I dont think a chair is necessary

Report Abuse

|||I'd be like "this isn't Japan, this is America!"

Report Abuse

|||Grow a back bone and say OI! Shoes... OFF.... NOW!!.... I'm pretty sure they'l take them off before they've even got to the garden lol?

Report Abuse

|||Have a rack or area where people can put their shoes. Then, instead of saying "please take off your shoes", you can say "There's a rack/space over there where you can put your shoes". They will understand that they are meant to remove their shoes, but they won't feel as much as if they've been ordered to do it. Soon, it will become habit.

If you are arriving with a group of people, you can set the example by pausing to take your own shoes off and the others will naturally follow suit.|||Congratulations on the new house. I have gone through the same situation when I bought my new house. I grew up wearing shoes in the house and my kids were in their pre-teens when moved in, so old habits are hard to break. Getting the family to convert was the easy part. We discussed the new rule and all agreed to take our shoes off in the house. Part of our discussion was how we would tell "our" friends about the rule. The kids were going to be responsible for making sure their friends took off their shoes when they came over. I agreed that I would ask the same of my friends to be fair to everyone. A pile of shoes at the door and answering in socks usually gets most people out of their shoes. Always try and tell people when they are invited that they will need to remove their shoes.|||No shoes allowed in our house. but i have to say i dont actually know anyone who does. its freezing here at present so everyone brings slippers.|||Just ask them. Tell them, everyone has to take their shoes off.|||Hey, can you take your shoes off? its white carpet and i want to keep it clean, thanks!"|||I want all my guests to feel at home and be comfortable, so I let them chose whether they keep their shoes on or off (unless they are muddy or filthy). However, the ground floor of my home is entirely in laminate, wooden or tiled flooring so I don't need to worry about carpet stains. If I were you, i'd probably feel the same. Simply explain to people at the door that the new carpets are very light and prone to staining and if they could remove their footwear - after you've explained this once, you won't need to again as they will know for the future.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment