Saturday, March 3, 2012

Literally only the bare terminal, no gui, just the terminal, because I am In college working for a computer science major and I would love to use a computer only through the terminal. I'll still have my "recreational" computer along with it's gui based os, I just want a simple unix based terminal os to use as one of the main partitions on one of my old computers.|||You can select the install on most distributions, so you could just turn off the desktop and Xwindow installs.|||you can even remove your GUI after installing on most distributions and all you will be left with is a terminal|||If you want a more Unix-y terminal, I'd recommend FreeBSD. It's command-line by default.|||You can accomplish what you want with almost any version of linux, regardless of what GUI they use. You can use only the terminal, or you can turn off the GUI entirely. For your intents and purposes, I would suggest Gentoo.|||any distro will work as many had stated. just install the server edition or remove the gui if there is one. i recommend arch linux because it's gui-less by default and is not as bloated as other distros. you install what you need with pacman.

pacman -S curl|||Arch Linux just starts with a terminal.

http://archlinux.org|||under any Linux open /etc/inttab with root privileges and look for following line:

id:5:initdefault:

or if you are using any Slackware based Linux:

id:4:initdefault:

And change it to following:

id:3:initdefault:

Now reboot. you will enter in a text environment instead of X window.


LINUX VERSIONS WITHOUT GUI:

Arch Linux, Slackware.

There may be numerous other but I have personally used these

NOTE:
Slackware installer gives you option to install X-window, KDE, XFCE and some other Window managers. you can refuse this option by unchecking it

BSDs WITHOUT GUI:

On BSD side, I have used FreeBSD and OpenBSD

If you are installing OpenBSD or FreeBSD from DVD, you can install X-window as optional component.|||Hello;

As I understand Linux -- all the GUIs are optional. I believe Arch Linux installs as a CL interface, but it really doesn't matter you can set any of them to not use a GUI.

Best of Luck

Nulfinator on YouTube

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment